Friday, July 24, 2009

Ladies' Lunch



I'm not well-versed in mid-day menu planning. I know nothing of luncheons. Luncheons conjure thoughts of coiffed, pants-suited women picking at sharp pieces of lettuce. Lunch involves a salad, a desk, and quality Facebook time.

Brunch is another story. There are designated foods that are served at brunch. Brunch is easy. (And one of my favorite words!)

I do, however, have delightful Barefoot Contessa-esque daydreams about having girlfriends over for lunch. We eat delicious sandwiches, on soft bread, filled with meats and cheeses. There is a light side dish of pasta salad or a roasted vegetable. Prosecco cocktails flow, and there is always a decadent chocolazzzzzzzzzzzzz...
and this will never happen in my lifetime.

Why lunch? Well, I had my friend Michele and her sweet seven month old over on a Saturday mid-day, and it threw me. I was possessed, POSSESSED I tell you! by the idea that I had to serve lunch. I did exhaustive research. I was now convinced the the the culinary gods would strike me down for not having an arsenal of tea sandwich fillings at the ready. This was full-fledged LUNCH PANIC. Then I factored the baby into the mix. OHMYGOD THE BABY WILL STARVE IF I DO NOT PROVIDE FOOD FOR HIM. It was then I realized that unless I was a wet Nurse, Michele will provide nourishment for her own child.
I began to talk myself down. We are not formal people. This is hang out time with my friend and her kid.

I woke up on Saturday morning and took myself over to the Most Dangerous Place In Manhattan, aka The Vinegar Factory. I bought us a pasta salad that I doctored up, a small sandwich that we split, and for dessert, we had some yogurt covered pretzels.

She came bearing a bottle of Sancerre* and a seven month old. That beats a salad and Facebook any day.

*Sancerre was not opened.

My Five Favorite Sandwiches Paired With Five Great Ladies

Grilled cheese and My mom
Tuna on whole wheat and Julia Child
Second Ave Deli corned beef on rye with mustard and Amy Sedaris
Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey on White and Meryl Streep
Fresh mozzarella and tomato on semolina bread and Lily Tomlin




Ahh...edits happen

No comments:

Post a Comment