Saturday, March 6, 2010

All By Myself



I don't like eating alone.
Not because it makes me feel lonely, but because it makes me combine things that should not be combined in one meal.

Some people look at the lone meal as a gourmet production. They set the table, they pick a nice wine. It's lovely.

My lone meals are highly suspect, low in healthy content, and are never spoken of again.

My go-to lone meal used to be a salad. Don't be fooled by this. A simple bowl of greens can be rendered unrecognizable with the right amounts of pasta, cheese, and dressing.
Is there a possibility that a menu involving Wonder Bread, baloney, and Fritos was planned? Maybe.

I don't usually decide on how processed the meal is going to be until the last minute. A few factors come into play: weather, day of the week, and TV schedule.I also find that I talk to myself a lot while composing these meals. It's usually mindless chit-chat, but there was one time when I had to defend myself to myself over my choice of Elio's Pizza and Hostess Cupcakes.

My recent flirtation with healthy food may change the footloose and fancy free quality of my next lone meal, but that's a conversation I will save for myself.

Five Lone Meals I May Or May Not Have Eaten

1. Underwood deviled ham on D'taliano white bread
2. Elbows with a jar of tomato sauce
3. Cheese, a spoonful of peanut butter, and a blondie
4. Herring in cream sauce
5. Cold lasagne

No comments:

Post a Comment